Music-Snob

An offshoot of (mim-uh-zeen) and other loss leaders, with an emphasis on my music collection and other things music related.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

I'm a pretty varied individual...

Thursday, March 26, 2009

GREAT DEAD BANDS - The Sarnos



Another San Francisco band that made a name for itself in the early 90's. The group's core was the trio of Sam Koritz, Dennis Blyth and Don Deaveau; when I first saw them at the Hotel Utah, that was augmented with additional members Liz Kennedy (vocals) and usually a couple of other instrumentalists.

That first lineup is reflected in a 6 song ep released by Heyday Records.



1) She's A Witch
2) Candy
3) So-Called Friends
4) You May Be Right
5) Criminal
6) Just A Ghost

Clever, almost snarky (if the word was in use then) pop songs, including a cover of the Billy Joel hit from GLASS HOUSES.


The next releases had the band stripped down to a trio, and a new label, Hairy Records.
They hadn't lost their sense of humor, as you can see from the song selection:



There was another single, Kiss Me Sunbeam/Sunflower, but I've not turned that one up as of yet, as well as songs on a Hairy Records compilation.

Singles, of course, led to a album release, the only 'full' album that I know of. It includes a couple of the singles songs, and another version of "Just A Ghost".



1) Kiss Me Sunbeam
2) Cigarette Girl
3) Idaho
4) Just A Ghost
5) Honey
6) Leopard Girl
7) Volcanoes
8) So Alive
9) Volcanoes (J.P. Dub version)

Sam Koritz maintains a blog and a MySpace page.

The (almost compleat) Sarnos

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out drummer Don Deveau's post-Sarnos work in the San Francisco Space Rock duo "BORG9" at:


www.myspace.com/borg9

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,I remember you from a couple of our shows.The Sarnos also released another full- length cd and a demo cassette.I have an extra copy of the cd,If you send me your address I'll send you a copy.hope all's well-Don(Sarno drummer)

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the singer, liz. Curious to know who you are...did you come see us when I was with them?

10:16 AM  
Blogger L. Rob Hubb said...

Hello Liz!

I wasn't a regular attendee - the first time I went to the Hotel Utah was a show just prior to the 7" coming out. After that, I just lost track of the band (with other things going on) and didn't see them again until they got to the trio... I wondered what had happened to you and the other member!

Good to hear from you.

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Eric B said...

Liz! I knew you and Sarah from the Vineyard. I'd love to connect again...long shot, but... :)

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home